Tuesday, January 15, 2013

15 Irish Observations of the Day/Observation Number 1

Hey friends.

So, I was trying to decide whether or not to post all of these in one giant blog, or 15 little ones. I am going to do 15 little baby blogs for you guys (and by little baby... I mean they will still be a decent length because... let's face it... I could talk forever) so it's less heavy (yet fun) reading and more a quick laugh. :)

I have been randomly typing in little memos in my phone of observations about Ireland as I think of them/notice them. That list has now reached 15. There are plenty of more observations that I am sure will come in the future, but I am going to just start with these first 15. Over the next couple of weeks, I will expand on one of these topics for you guys and explain why it's on my list of quirky/fun things about Ireland. These are coming in no particular order... just in the order they were in my phone.

It'll be fun. I promise. :)

Irish Observation of the Day: #1 - Nothing is ever fully dry. Ever.

Literally, everything is damp. And if you have a wet towel from getting out of the shower, it doesn't matter if you lay it over the heater, hang it over the door, whatever. It will never be fully dry, and you just have to accept that. 

And every morning, when you want to be warm and toasty in some warm and toasty clothes, forget about it. When you first grab those "warm and toasty" clothes, they will be cold. And damp. Eventually, your body will just adjust/you'll warm the clothes up and you'll be fine. But that just out of the dryer toastiness that we all love? We don't get that here. When clothes come out of the dryer, you are rejoicing if at least your underwear feel dry! (mine did this time. score!)

And you don't want to just run the dryer again... because it costs you THREE EURO for a single wash or a single dry. It is five euro for both... but if you want your clothes to be fully dry, you better have some cash on you to do that every couple of weeks. Otherwise, you do like I do, and cover your apartment with semi-damp clean clothing for a few days until it's at least not as damp so you can put it away.

This also means that instead of just wearing your jeans three times before washing them like you do back in the states (which you already lie about because you are afraid people will think you are some freak that walks around in their own filth all day), you wash your jeans/yoga pants not based off of how many times you have worn them, but based off of when:

1. You run out of underwear, and therefore, need to do laundry anyways.

and

2. They are literally so stretched out you now need to go buy a belt to keep them up. (that includes yoga pants).

On the plus side, my hands have never felt so soft before!!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment